Thursday 24 April 2014

BUCKET LIST

I have all these things on my bucket list I used to think I really wasn't brave enough to do. I'd weigh the possibility of doing them and then say, "Oo, I'll probably do this when I'm 30 or maybe 40 or just whenever I feel brave enough" but there's an expiry date on life, you know? 

Taking spontaneous trips is one of them. I feel very fortunate to have a bit of independence whilst still so young, I can't exactly tell what my future is going to be, so I'm learning to seize opportunities.

I've spent most of the school year working on my design project at university, after very long work hours (At least thrice, I sat in the Library working for almost 25 hours) and mixed emotions, I handed in the final copy at the end of term. I was ecstatic! Whilst I was basking in the brief freedom from continuously handing in stellar quality work, I needed time alone to reflect on some choices I've made with regards to my personal life. So, I decided to go to Paris. I felt like a free bird walking into St. Pancras, checking-in and waiting for my train to be called.

I've always wanted to visit a pretty city alone. As I live in London, I always said London, Paris and New York are near identical to one another but I've now realised that these cities are indeed very different from one another. New York, I haven't explored well enough to fall in love with but London and Paris have my heart. Whilst London is a bit masculine, Paris has a more feminine touch to it and with femininity comes empathy and warmth, just what I needed for a weekend away. 

I boarded the train and the entire train ride was very dreamy. I was excited in an unsure way but I was determined to wander in a novel city, feel invisible and find beauty. On arrival, I checked into my hotel and went off to Le Restaurante des Poetes in the Passage Molière. The restaurant was very cozy and the passage very picturesque. The setting made it perfect for reflecting. Solitude is bliss. I didn't have to keep a conversation going, all I needed to do was observe. I enjoy having dinner alone, so this wasn't a first but the conversations around me were different, in a different language, my view was shadowy and the notes I took down were very unusual. 

Just as I was settling my cheque, one of the waiters asked if I'd like to grab drinks with him as he'd be ending his shift. I thought that my cue to leave so, I picked up my things and slid into a taxi. I wanted to talk to strangers I'd possibly never cross paths with again but I still had my guard up and I wasn't about to share drinks with just any man. A bit uptight for a supposed free spirit, I know.

I went back to my Hotel, changed into a night time outfit and headed to L'experimental. Going to a really cozy bar alone was a little awkward, as it was my first time. I headed straight to the bar area and told the bartender to make me cocktails that infused my favourite flavours. Whilst we were at that, someone who sources fabrics for Saint Laurent walked up to me and asked who the designer of the pair of shorts I was wearing was. It was a pair of Velvet shorts with gold embellishments from Virgos Lounge. Before she walked up to me, she thought it was designed by Balmain, pretty easy way to start a girly conversation. She invited me to join her party of friends who ensured I had a very lovely night. I was talking to one of her friends who told me he'd be quitting his job the next monday to go sailing around the world. Think Eat, Pray, Love. I only saw people finding themselves through lots of travel by reading fiction, or watching movies. Maybe because I come from a place where no one ever admits to being lost, we all just go along with the conventional flow. 

As interesting as his stories were, I still got a bit frightened. Our entire conversation span, I kept wondering if I'd ever decide to quit my already-made life because I just wasn't happy or satisfied. I got lost talking and laughing, and didn't even realise when the clocks moved forward, it was almost 5am when I realised and as I walked to get my taxi that morning, I had a brief moment where I felt really emancipated. I realised that people were just people and there were 7 billion of us on the planet. I didn't need to keep sugar-coating things and playing hide & seek because I was scared to look people in the eye and tell them my truth. I needed to be Me, the person that had just sat with a group of strangers I'd possibly never cross paths with again and had the most honest conversations. That was all the clarity I needed.

My Sunday began with a communion service at the Notre Dame. Possibly the highlight of the trip. It was very tranquil. As is common with Gothic architecture, it is very palatial. As I wandered around and got lost in how beautiful the church was, my mind and spirit in unison said, "God truly does live here". The funny thing is I'd been here before, I think I was about 16 and as was common with my younger self, I was distracted. Yes! I know I'm a tad dramatic but it was a wonderful experience.

I headed to Brasserie de L'isle Saint Louis where I got a seat at the terrace which has a really great view. After I was done eating, I took a walk and unleashed my photography skills (LOL). Thankfully, the weather was beautiful so I, in my 5-inch heels and full skirt wandered around all the touristy spots and once I was tired, I headed back to my hotel and fell asleep until morning.

On my final day I didn't really make any plans. I decided to be very spontaneous and just do whatever the wind blew my way. I lodged in a place really close to the Arc de Triomphe so I walked down the Champs Élysées window-shopping and in some cases went in to try on clothes. I tried to restrain myself but I couldn't help but find myself walking along Avenue Montaigne. I ended up succumbing to my weakness for fine leather shoes made to fit my massive size 42 feet thus draining my bank account but it was all worth it. Walked to L'avenue and wondered if I'd bump into any Drake's or Rihanna's but alas, no celebrities were in sight. After a while, I headed to Gard du Nord, boarded my train and came back home to my love, London. 

I had a wonderful time in Paris. I love that life sometimes feels like pages from a story book. I'm glad I was brave enough to do something on my bucket list and I was even more glad I got the clarity I needed.

Love and Light,
Onyi 

No comments:

Post a Comment